The History of
Our main entrance in Throgmorton Street, designed by Sir Thomas G Jackson RA, is guarded by colossal male figures by Henry Pegram and secured by imposing bronze doors.
Inside, the oak-panelled corridor is lit by a stained-glass window containing the coats of arms of four celebrated naval leaders associated with the Company. Sir Francis Drake, Nelson and St. Vincent were each presented with the Freedom of the Company in recognition of their leadership in battle. Sir Walter Raleigh is there because the Company subscribed to the Virginia Company and his exploratory voyages to Virginia.
Along the corridor are portraits of members of the Lambarde family. Their connection with the Company is through William Lambarde (son of John Lambarde, Master in 1547) who founded Queen Elizabeth’s College in Greenwich, almshouses which he entrusted to the Company. A beautiful early 17th century velvet cloak is displayed alongside a portrait of Jane Lambarde wearing the very same cloak. The portraits and cloak, together with a collection of valuable documents and books, were bequeathed to the Company in the 1970s by one of William’s last direct descendants.
Lining the corridor are a set of late 17th century oak benches and iron strong boxes dated circa 1600. An elm wooden box (adjacent to the stained-glass window) came from Henry Lucas Hospital, an almshouse charity in Wokingham of which the Company was trustee until 2002 when it merged with the Whiteley Homes Trust in Surrey.
In the Reception area is a portrait of Henry Fitzalwyn, first Mayor of London, copies of Hans Holbein portraits of Thomas Cromwell (who owned the mansion that stood on this site) and Henry VIII (who took it from him), and a set of prints entitled The Idle and Industrious Apprentices by William Hogarth.